Monday, August 18, 2008

Operation Love Bomb

I'm not a very good customer. Most of the time when I walk into a store like Best Buy, I know exactly what I want/need and go to find it. Very rarely do I go into a store, this seems to happen at Gap more than anywhere else, and ask anyone for assistance. Most of the time it'll be asking the cute girl working what she thinks of a certain color. (I know full well that 99% of the time that wont lead to anything but her typical sales pitch, however I've decided that if I ask enough 'opinions' it might turn into something... anything... maybe.)

I worked as a carney for a summer. It was a terrible job where I had to try and sell people rides on this crappy motion simulator at a mall in Houston. I hated it, and I'm pretty sure most of the mall customers hated me as well.

I bring this up because I was walking into work one day last week and I was, as the guy I work with put it, 'love bombed.' Love bombed, huh? Yes, Jehovah's Witness style aerial assault. It was a friendly looking old cowboy looking into the window's of the building where we office, I said "Hello," and continued walking, until he said, "Can I ask you a question?" The things that started racing through my mind were, "Oh crap, he's homeless and needs a ride," and "Oh, this nice old man just needs to know where a certain building is located." "Sure," I responded, really thinking nothing much of it.

Until he pulled out his folder full of Watchtower pamphlets. Quickly he asked me something about being depressed when someone I knew passed away, and how we all have a hard time dealing with stuff like that. I agreed, in a short answered sort of way, and tried to get the heck outta there, when I refused to take his pamphlet (no need in taking something that's just going into the garbage in the next five minutes I decided) he started in.

"Can I ask you another question?" Old Cowboy guy said.
"Ok," hesitant, noticeably flustered and nervous Andrew, replied.
"What did Jesus say we could look for to know when he was coming back?"
"Um... we could look to the sky right?" It took me a second to remember something that would qualify as a good enough Sunday school answer here, as I've been out of practice in answering these random questions like this for some time now.
"Exactly! When wars and rulers are coming to power, that's when we need to look to the sky to see that Jesus is near."
"Ok."
"Now take this pamphlet."
"No thanks, I've gotta go to work."
"Hmmm... well have a nice day."
(Andrew hurries off to the door to his building.)
Scene.

Why does something like this bother me so much? I should be impressed that someone believes in something so much that they're willing to go out and share it with the world (even if it's something I don't also believe in). I think it's because he has a rehearsed script, while I'm just speaking on the fly. He knows precisely what I'm going to say, and has a scripted response to just that. He doesn't really know who I am. He likely didn't even care. He was a salesman on the street trying to get me to buy into something without doing the work required.

I don't like that. I think we as Christians should work more to try and 'save' people. (Realize I'm not saying I agree with Old Cowboy guy, he's just an example of something that happened to me recently, and is good for the point I'm making here.) I don't think we see people enough when we just pass out tracks. I've only been a part of doing that once, and it was hands down the strangest thing I've ever been a part of. People were freaked out. Getting love bombed in the middle of your day isn't the greatest feeling.

I don't know where else this is going to go. That's about all I have right now.

We're drafting our fantasy league tonight. Hopefully I can keep my streak alive and beat Michael for the second year in a row. (Dude talks a lot of trash even though he's NEVER BEATEN ME, not even in a weekly game, let alone the championship. Just saying.)

3 comments:

joe.peebles said...

I definitely agree that the passion of people who will wait around all day to hand out pamphlets or ride bikes all over town day in, day out is really quite impressive.

But I do have this scenario that plays out in my head sometimes of having a conversation with one of these people and being able to convince them of what they believe that's baloney and what's truth. I bet that kind of thing just makes me more likely to be turned to the 'Dark Side'.

Anonymous said...

and thus marks the end of me reading this blog.

Anonymous said...

I've had many conversations about that very subject. Hollow love from an unknown panhandler of paraphanalia (sp?) is not someone that I am prepared to discuss my deepest, most personal beliefs with. I'm sorry I'm not that open, nor do I care what someone I've never met has to say about what I believe. Any kind of discussion about topics of that nature should be done so with someone you trust and understand. Hence the reason we can and have talked about such things.

I think that in years to come we will learn that child rearing is another subject that falls into this catagory.

And as far as the passion that someone has for their beliefs... that's great that they have such passion but I would have to say that their zeal is better allocated in regards to their own deliverance. Sounds selfish, but can we agree that one's own confidence in ones beliefs is the best argument for them?